This year for the first time, Gyeongju will be hosting a Cherry Blossom Festival in
celebration of their many beautiful cherry blossom trees. The festival starts March 31 with the opening ceremony at Bomun Lakeside Stage, and includes performances and a fireworks show before the beautiful Bomun Lake.
The festival dates coincide with the 26th annual Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon, taking place on Saturday, April 1 at Gyeongju World Culture Expo Park. The marathon has seen the participation of over 220,000 participants from around the world for 25 years, since its first run in 1992. This year, over 2,000 international participants from 40 countries make up part of the 12,000 total runners. It has become an international event thanks to the support and co-sponsorship of the Korea Tourism Organization.
The Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon uses the three themes of “Gyeongju,” “marathon,” and “cherry blossom” to continue drawing in international tourists from across various travel styles.
Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Festival & Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon
☞ Event period & venue
– Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Festival: March 31 – April 9, 2017 / Areas of Dongbu Historic Site & Bomun Tourist Complex
* Opening Ceremony: 19:30-21:30, March 31, 2017 / Bomun Lakeside Stage
– Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon: April 1, 2017 08:00~ / Areas of Bomun Tourist Complex & downtown Gyeongju
– Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Festival: Gyeongju Express / Intercity Bus Terminal → Walk to Bus Terminal Adjacent Bus Stop → Take Bus No. 10, 11, 100-1, 150, 154, or 600 and get off at Wolseong-dong Citizen’s Center Bus Stop → Walk approx. 6 min.
– Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon: Gyeongju Express / Intercity Bus Terminal → Walk to Bus Terminal Adjacent Bus Stop → Take Bus No. 100 or 150 and get off at Front of Bomun Maeun-tang Bus Stop → Walk approx. 8min. to Bodeok-dong Citizen’s Center.
☞ Gyeongju Cherry Blossom Marathon website: www.cherrymarathon.com (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)